The Benefits of Cataract Surgery
For many people, cataracts may seem like just another component of the aging process. As we age, our eye lens – which allows light to pass through the eye, thus allowing us to see clearly – can build up with protein, which creates a cloud or fog over the surface of the lens. If left untreated, cataracts can lead to vision loss and even blindness.
Fortunately, you don’t have to let cataracts stop you from living your best life. New advances in cataract treatments have made it possible for sufferers to restore their eyesight altogether, even with advanced cataracts.
The key, of course, is to maintain regular appointments with your ophthalmologist. At NewView Laser Eye in Reston, VA (also serving the greater Washington, DC area), Dr. Jacqueline Griffiths can perform regular check-ups to maintain your ocular health. Dr. Griffiths can also perform cataract surgery for those patients who may be in danger of losing their vision to cataracts.
Cataract surgery is an innovative surgery that removes the aging, opaque eye lens and replaces it with an artificial lens implant. This implant helps restore the patient’s eyesight, as the artificial lens allows for crystal-clear vision.
The benefits of cataract surgery are numerous, and can include the following:
- You can enjoy a better quality of life again. When your cloudy eye lens is replaced with a healthy artificial lens, you’ll be able to see clearly. This means you can enjoy driving, reading, and other normal activities again.
- Cataract surgery can help make colors brighter, images sharper, and even improve your overall vision. This can be a major benefit for long-term cataract sufferers, who may not have been able to enjoy optimal vision.
- Many cataract surgery patients report feeling less discomfort in the glare of the sun or when seeing headlights at night.
- For many patients, having their independence back can improve their quality of life by tenfold. These are the patients who no longer have to depend on outside help to undertake normal activities.
- Research suggests that patients who undergo cataract surgery are more likely to enjoy longer life expectancy. It’s thought that having better vision supports better mental health and decreases the likelihood of falls.
Keep your eyes healthy and happy for the rest of your life. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Griffiths at NewView Laser Eye in Reston, VA. NewView Laser Eye serves the greater Washington, DC area. Call 703-834-9777 today!