The Best Summer Eye Safety Tips For Your Family
The summer season is almost here again – and that means time spent outdoors with loved ones. From baseball games and barbeques to road trips and beachside vacations, there’s no end to the summer fun you have planned for you and your family.
But before you start packing the calendar with fun activities, take the time to make sure your family’s eye health is safe with these summer eye safety tips:
- Wear Special Sunglasses: You know it’s incredibly important to wear sunscreen to protect your skin. Think of sunglasses with 100% UV protection as akin to sunscreen for your eyes. These glasses protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, which could impact your eyesight (as well as keep them safe from sunburns – ouch!).
Make sure any sunglasses you plan on buying have a label that says 100% UV protection or UV400. Buy wraparound styles, as these can prevent the sun’s rays from entering on the sides.
- Wear a Hat With a Brim: Top off your sunglasses with a hat that has a brim. The brim can provide much-needed shade to your face, while adding another layer of protection for your eyes. Fortunately, baseball caps and floppy hats are always in style!
- Don’t Let Clouds Fool You: It may be tempting to avoid protecting your eyes during cloudy days, but don’t be fooled – UV rays can still harm your eyes even with gray, cloudy skies.
- Protect the Kids: Make sure your child’s sunglasses have the same protection as yours; additionally, make your child wear a hat when out in the sun, whether you’re by the beach or playing ball out in the backyard.
- Know the Danger Time: UV rays are at their strongest from 11 AM to 3 PM; make sure you take proper precautions to keep your eyes safe and sound from the sun.
Use the above steps to ensure you’re able to enjoy the summer sunshine without putting your eyes in harm’s way.
To learn more about keeping your eyes protected during the summer months, schedule a consultation with Dr. Jacqueline Griffiths at NewView Eye Center in Reston, Virginia. NewView Eye Center serves the greater Washington, D.C. metro area. Call 703-834-9777 to learn more today!